Code of Conduct & Disciplinary Procedures
Adopted Oct 19, 2019
As comrades in struggle, we as members of the Denver Communists must commit to actively dismantling the social structures of domination and oppression. The members of the Denver Communists will be respectful to our fellow members and all those we interact with in coalition and organizing spaces.
We strive to make the Denver Communists an inclusive and welcoming environment for everyone, especially for new members and people who experience special oppression. We will be sensitive to others and refrain from exclusionary behavior. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Speaking less if we find ourselves talking too much at the expense of other, unheard voices.
- Ensuring we do not disrupt meetings or interrupt people when they are speaking.
- Proactively promoting marginalized voices and making the space more accommodating.
- Making networks and resources accessible for all members.
We will respect our comrades’ privacy and not reveal personally-identifiable information without permission, including events where a member has requested privacy.
We should not engage in behavior or speech—even ironically—that reinforces systems of oppression based on gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, body size and physical appearance, disability, race, ethnicity, caste, color, religion, national origin, class, age, or profession. Harassment will absolutely not be tolerated. Examples of harassment and abusive behavior include: unwelcome attention, slurs, hate speech, physical or verbal intimidation, stalking, inappropriate physical contact or proximity, etc.
We recognize that other verbal and physical conduct not listed above constitutes harassment when:
- Submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of a member’s continued affiliation with the Denver Communists.
- Submission or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for organizational decisions affecting such individual.
- Such conduct has the purpose or effect of creating a hostile environment interfering with an individual’s capacity to organize within the Denver Communists.
We encourage members to make an effort to intervene if you witness any of the above behavior at the Denver Communists sponsored events, if you feel safe and comfortable doing so, and in a way that respects the agency/autonomy of those who have been affected.
We are resolved in ensuring any reporters are respected and protected from retaliation for reporting any breaches of our Code of Conduct by our members.